Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cielo Pancake Cafe

Can't go wrong with dancing sign pancakes
We have businesses coming and going all the time in our neighborhood. Mostly bars and restaurants are opening and closing, but this sweet little spot opened up this March. This cafe is Cielo, "Chaaro" (チャーロ) in Japanese. The fact that we saw the word "pancake" and didn't immediately run into this shop is surprising. But once we did make it there, our thoughts ended up on both sides of the spectrum.

I'm going to level with you. So get ready. The coffee was not good. The iced coffee wasn't any good either. I used copious amounts of cream and sugar, which is uncharacteristic. The place was a bit dirty, too. The floor was gross and there were ants. At first glance, there's really not much going for it.

But we would go back.

How, you say? The service was impeccable. The server wasn't just sweet and nice. She was accommodating. She was hospitable. She went the extra mile.

Shall I share the many examples?

When we first arrived, there was a TV on with a show in Japanese. She immediate switched on an American movie. I think she's a psychic too - or a wonderful sort of stalker - because she turned on X2, one of my favorite movies. 

Notice the chips! Notice the chips!
Once she gave us our plates, she held our kid. She just took our kid and played around with him! Both of us were able to enjoy our food without competition from our 7-month-old. And neither of us had to play the game of be-a-jungle-gym-while-inhaling-food.

We were caught off guard by the thoughtfulness of her doing that. And a little bit touched, too.

The food itself was delicious. I ordered banana chocolate pancakes and was so tickled to see banana chocolate chips on my plate. Fantastic! I honestly don't even remember what my husband had - I was too enamored with my own dish. French toast or something without banana chocolate chips, that's all I care to know.

Since our visit, I've walked by this cafe multiple times. Three times I've seen the same waitress and she's recognized me, said hello, and smiled at our son. I'm so utterly torn on this place! Was it immaculately clean? Far from it. Was the coffee good? H to the no. But would I go back for some good pancakes and a chance to support their wonderful service? In a heartbeat.

Well, at least her wonderful service. Maybe I'm just becoming a fan of this one particular waitress. But she makes some mean pancakes and knows how to take care of some folks.

Cielo is located on Odakicho, two streets parallel to highway 16 intersecting Blue Street, between Claps Hair Salon and Hotel New Yokosuka. You can't miss it as it's a small but bright red building. Find them on Facebook here. English menus available. And complementary English movie time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment